Tuesday, April 1, 2008

A very young garden.....

So, just between you and me, Little Bird Cottage is only 3 years old. No, it's not an antique cottage with centuries of history, in a quaint little town full of antique shops and B&B's. It's more like an almost-but-not-quite cookie cutter style house in an over-developed subdivision. Oh well, it's home to me! Regardless, it's cottage to us, and we love it. All that being said, I think Andy and I have done a pretty good job in the landscaping department in our short time here. These are pictures of our backyard garden which we just developed last year around this time. Each of these plants is only a year old!!!!
This is the back section of our yard which was originally nothing but half dead golf course grass. Last year we planted 5 trees (two pear trees & 3 crepe mertyles) and a number of plants, along with sodding and mulching the entire area. We also stained our fence. Well, hehehehe, I say "WE", but all the credit actually goes to Andy bcs I was pregnant and he wouldn't let me do anything (what a gentleman!). I drew the diagram for the landscape plan and "supervised", which everyone knows is my favorite job, and one that I do VERY well!

Since we live in South Texas we are limited to planting things that are extremely heat and drought tolerant like Asparagus Fern, Rosemary, Slavia, and Lantana. I currently have absolutely NO shade in my backyard, so my dreams of topiaries and hydrangeas will have to wait until we move to a different house. Not everything is blooming yet, but when it is I will be sure to post more pics of our young garden.



Look at this other little bunny I found hopping around the shrubs............

No comments: