Saturday, May 10, 2008

"Ivies" on Robertson & Rooster Replacement

My favorite restaurant ever is 'The Ivy' on Robertson, in L.A. it's not my favorite bcs of the celebrities that dine there, or bcs it's on super-chic robertson blvd., it's my favorite bcs it combines my two favorite things: fabulous food and shabby chic design. Woohoo--i get excited just thinking about it! it just so happens that my favorite restaurant also happens to be named after my favorite plant. i have ALWAYs been in LOVE with english ivy and all of it's various hybrids.

So you can imagine how THRILLed i was when i was shopping at Lowes a few weeks ago and i ran across several Ivy hybrids on CLEARANCE. most of you probably already know, but if you don't then i will tell you: ivies are EXPENSIVE. it's a pretty penny for plant that you really don't know for sure will make it. especially for a girl like me who SOMETIMES has a green thumb...but SOMETIMES has a black one also.

Anyway, i was pleased as punch to buy these two "dark pittsburg" hybrids for $5.00 each--that's more that 50% off!!! after a brief search, i finally found these urns yesterday at HOBBY LOBBY, (also known as the GREATEST PLACE ON EARTH), and thought they would be perfect for my darling ivies. then when we were planting them, andrew and i realized that the ivies were so big, they needed to be seperated, and i ended up having 4 plants rather than 2. FOUR ivies for $10!!! i practically have ivies growing out of my ears now--what a dream come true! :O i decided to take one to the surprise birthday party we were invited to tonight, as a gift for the party's host. i hope the person that gets this little beauty below loves it as much as i do.....bcs one time i gave someone a topiary ivy and they let it die--a slow and thirsty death...and i still get upset when i think about it. :( i'm telling you, i'm obsessed with these guys...i may need ivy intervention.

On another note, i have a blue resin garden rooster that i keep on my front porch. he usually has a plant in him, but for some reason the poor guy spent most of the winter and spring EMPTY. he wasn't lonely though, bcs he was often used as a "mailbox" of sorts for myself and my girlfriends. i would leave "things" in the rooster for my girlfriends to pick UP when i wasn't home: a meat mallet....a calender...directions...magazines. and my girlfriends would leave stuff for me too: tupperware...cards...money (that one was my favorite). i would just say, "leave it in the rooster", and they would. in the words of my friend 'V', "thank god for that rooster". well, the rooster finally had a fern planted in his belly and our "mailbox" was GONE. when people started complaining that out little "mailbox" was no more, i knew i had to find something to replace it. i like this new "mailbox", don't you? from now on i will say, "leave it in my basket". so go ahead and drop something in my basket--let me know you still love me ;)

Last night arden shook her little rear at me when i told her it was time to go to bed:
But she woke up this morning with a SMILE:


TTYL,

Angela

2 comments:

Amber said...

I love your little "basket"! A fun little system for trading items with friends. :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! Since I've "lived" in Austin for just under a year, and it hasn't grown on me just yet (I miss my Colorado mountains!), I was wondering if you would share some of your favorite spots? We've been out of town for work more than we've been in town, so I haven't had a chance to explore as much as I'd like. I especially haven't found any of my favorite little shabby shop type spots, any good architectural salvage yards or any great flea markets. It seems like we have some similar likes :) so I wondered if you have any suggestions for me of spots I should check out?

Anonymous said...

Woo-Hoo! Luvs the basket!! Can't wait to have to borrow something!